The Legend of William Bates
The Curse of Millington Hills
In 1881 a mysterious fire ripped through the Saginaw Valley. The mysterious Hills of Millington was completely devastated. Its unknown as to what started the fire. But a local legend suggests that the hardships brought upon this section of Millington was the result of a centuries old curse of the Sauk Indian Tribe. The Sauk Indians were massacred by two rival tribes on the land then known as The Forbidden Valley. Its said that a Sauk Medicine Man was the only survivor of the brutal killings. The spirits of the Sauk Indian warriors and their families refuse to leave this part of the earth and have prevented other souls from invading what they feel is their territory. The land has been cursed ever since. The medicine man has been seen walking the Millington Hills still today!
In 1880 a young business man named William Bates decided to buy up 500 acres of the Millington Hills to continue with his families Logging Business.....Bates Saw Mill. The previous owner of the land was a very elderly man who had been trying to sell the property for decades. The hauntings, missing persons, and unexplainable deaths made the land unmarketable. But Bates knew a good deal and purchased the property with nothing more than a hand shake. Bates never saw the mans face hidden behind his long gray hair.
The Bates Saw Mill was a booming business. Employed 60 men and supported a small town. Reports of spirits in the woods, and the occasional death was worth the prosperity.
No one knows how the fire started, or why it raged so violently. Early morning of September 6 1881 marked the beginning of the end for 100 men, woman & children living in the Millington Hills. William Bates and his men frantically tried to put out the fire but the intensity of the flames was overwhelming. It only took 30 minutes for the the entire village to cir-cum to the blaze and its people turned to ashes. Bates lye at the cobblestone foundation of what remained of his business badly burned and preparing for the end. Out of the smoke came a slumped figure....with long gray hair. The figure took William in his arms and began chanting in a Native tongue. As the wind moved the smoke away Bates caught a glimpse of the weathered face of a Native American Man. Bates tried to speak gasping for a breathe. The Man put something to Bates lips. Its was warm, fleshy and tasted of copper. It was good. Bates began to feel the sting of his wounds subsiding. He could feel his legs and hands begin to move, his heart felt stronger and his lungs filled with fresh air. The Native American Man faded into the smoke. Bates lay on the smoldering ground for 2 days and 2 nights. The morning of day 3 Bates stood up. Confused and starving. He staggered across the charred earth in search of answers and a hardy meal. He never saw the Native American Man again.
What we know now that Bates didn't then is that the Native American Man was the ancient Sauk Medicine Man. He had brought William back from death with the aid of a magical spell and the taste of human flesh. The Sauk believed that if a human ate the flesh of another human they would consume the soul and have eternal life. This horrific gift had consequences that Bates soon understood. Bates had to feed on the bodies of humans. For his soul had no home, and his hunger induced a pain in his stomach that was unbearable. Damned to walk the Hills for eternity Bates resides in Millington to this day.
The Bates Saw Mill was operating at capacity until 1995 when fire once again cause tragedy for Bates. William lives on the property and watches over his beloved saw mill. Unexplained accidents and missing bodies have been common place. For every tragedy Bates puts a grave stone on the property outside his home as a tribute to the deceased and missing villagers.
Bates scared face and withered body can be seen roaming the 20,000 square foot Bates Saw Mill and surrounding woods that hides his Home. Dare to explore the the twisted world of Bate Saw Mill of Torture!